U.S. citizens are required to file taxes with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) regardless of where they live and work. This is because the U.S. taxes based on citizenship rather than residency. In other words, U.S. citizens are subject to U.S. taxes on their worldwide income, no matter where they earn it.


Failing to file U.S. taxes while living abroad can result in penalties and legal consequences, even if all income is earned outside the U.S. and the person has already paid taxes in their country of residence. The U.S. has agreements with many countries to avoid double taxation, but individuals still need to file taxes and claim any applicable tax credits or exclusions.


It is important for U.S. citizens living abroad to stay informed about their tax obligations and to seek professional advice if necessary. The IRS has specific forms and instructions for expats, and many tax professionals specialize in helping Americans living abroad navigate the complex U.S. tax system.




Filing U.S. taxes from abroad can seem daunting, but it can be done with the right preparation and resources. Here are some steps to help guide you through the process:


Determine your filing requirements: As a U.S. citizen living abroad, you may need to file a U.S. tax return, even if you have no U.S.-source income. Use the IRS website or consult a tax professional to determine your specific filing requirements.


Gather your documents: Collect all of the necessary tax documents, including W-2s, 1099s, and other income statements, as well as documentation of any foreign income, assets, and accounts.


Choose your filing method: You can file your U.S. taxes from abroad electronically or by mail. Many tax preparation software programs offer support for expat tax returns, or you can hire a tax professional to assist you.


Consider tax treaties and foreign tax credits: Many countries have tax treaties with the U.S. to avoid double taxation. You may be able to claim foreign tax credits for taxes paid to your country of residence.


File your tax return: Submit your tax return by the appropriate deadline. The deadline for U.S. citizens living abroad is typically June 15th, with the option to file for an automatic extension until October 15th.




There are a few different resources that can help U.S. citizens holders file their U.S. taxes from abroad:


Tax Preparation Software: Many tax preparation software programs, such as TurboTax and H&R Block, offer support for expat tax returns. These programs can guide you through the process of gathering your tax documents and filing your return.


Tax Professionals: Tax professionals who specialize in expat tax preparation can provide more personalized assistance in filing your U.S. taxes from abroad. They can help you navigate the complexities of the U.S. tax system and ensure compliance with U.S. tax laws.


IRS Resources: The IRS offers a range of resources for expats, including specific tax forms and instructions for those living abroad. You can also contact the IRS directly with any questions or concerns.



U.S. Embassy or Consulate: The U.S. Embassy or Consulate in Germany may be able to provide information and resources for filing U.S. taxes from abroad